PUBLICATION EMBARGOED TO 12.01AM ON 10 JULY.
A family has issued an emotional appeal for information on the anniversary of a deliberate house fire which claimed the lives of two people.
Gina Ingles, 34, and her son Milo Ingles-Bailey, 4, were tragically killed in the blaze in Croxden Way, Eastbourne, which occurred just before 1.00am on Tuesday 10 July 2018.
Gina’s partner Toby Jarrett, 27, was also in the house at the time of the fire, but managed to escape through a first floor window. He sustained serious burn injuries and was taken to hospital for treatment. He has since been discharged.
Detectives are continuing to investigate the circumstances of the incident, and the victims’ family have directly appealed to the public to come forward with any new information.
Gina’s mother Jayne Ingles issued the following statement:
“Losing a child at any time is devastating, but losing my daughter Gina and grandson Milo in such a violent and sudden way has been very hard to come to terms with.
“The whole family are still in shock and we continue to grieve them. There is not a single day that goes by that we don’t think of them and miss them.
“Milo’s little cousins also miss Milo and Auntie Gina, and trying to explain that they have gone and that they will never see them again is heart-breaking. We tell them that Gina and Milo fly around the stars and sleep on the moon. The boys always say goodnight and blow kisses to the moon at bedtime.
“Losing Gina and Milo is something that we as a family will never ever get over.
“We feel cheated, angry and helpless that the person who committed this cowardice crime is still out there somewhere.
“Milo and Gina should still be here with us enjoying life. Milo would have been coming to the end of his first year at school. We would have been planning the summer and looking forward to spending time with them.
“We know we cannot bring Gina and Milo back but we also believe that someone, somewhere, may have more information about the arson attack or possibly even know who is responsible for it. We urge them please that any information, no matter how irrelevant they might think it may be, to please come forward to the police as it could help to catch the people who did this and hopefully prevent them from putting another family through the agony that we have endured over this last year.
“For us, it still feels like it happened yesterday.”
You can also watch our appeal here;
The officer leading the investigation, Detective Chief Inspector Mike Ashcroft, said: “In the past 12 months we have spoken to a number of people and followed up multiple lines of enquiry. We will continue to investigate any new information which comes to light.
“We are extremely grateful to the local community for their continued support and co-operation, and I would personally like to thank everyone who has come forward with any information to this date.
“However, we remain just as determined now as we were in July 2018 to locate the person – or people – responsible for this horrific offence and bring them to justice. This deliberate criminal act claimed the lives of a mother and her young son, and has severely affected the life of another man. We are certain that someone, somewhere, knows what happened that terrible morning, and why.”
Specifically, detectives are keen to locate the two people seen in the CCTV footage above, who may hold vital information about the fire.
Two local men, aged 47 and 23, were arrested on suspicion of two counts of murder and one of attempted murder – the 23-year-old remains released under investigation pending further enquiries; the 47-year-old was released without charge and will face no further action.
Anyone with any information is urged to report it online or call 101, quoting Operation Druffield.
You can also contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or report it online.
Author: Tim Mahony
Kindly note the victims’ families have told us that they do not wish to provide any further comment and do not wish to be contacted by the media.
IMAGE LICENSING NOTE: The image(s) provided remain(s) the property of Sussex Police or to a third party who has agreed to its/their release.
It/they is/are provided for the explicit purpose of journalistic coverage and commentary, in the public interest, in relation to the featured event.
You are granted limited licence to use the material for this purpose for 90 days from the date it is provided. You may also re-distribute it for this purpose at zero cost to the receiver, provided it is clearly marked as belonging to Sussex Police and this notice remains.
You may include our material as part of a wider package of journalistic content that is paid for by the receiver – for example a court report or feature article – provided that the material owned by Sussex Police is clearly marked as such, this notice remains and our material is supplemented by content of additional value produced by you.
Re-distribution of this material for profit in breach of the terms above, use for any purpose other than that expressed above or archiving of this material for future use is strictly prohibited without the prior written permission of Sussex Police.
Requests for use outside of these terms should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.