Follow Sussex Police Media Centre

Drink-driver jailed for double fatal collision

News   •   Jun 03, 2019 17:57 BST

David and Linda Evans

The images attached to this article have been released with the support of the victims' family.


A drink-driver who killed two people and seriously injured another in a devastating high speed crash has today (Monday 3 June) been jailed.

Benjamin Bosden was found to have a blood alcohol level in excess of the legal limit and to have been travelling at well over the 60mph speed limit when the tragic incident occurred on the A267 at Cross-In-Hand.

The crash on 9 September 2017 claimed the lives of local residents David and Linda Evans, described by relatives and friends as “a shining example of a fun-loving couple with a zest for life.”

It also left his 18-year-old female passenger with life-threatening injuries requiring emergency surgery.

Bosden also sustained serious injuries following the collision, which occurred at about 11.30pm that day.

The 20-year-old student, of Rushlake Green, Heathfield, had been driving a Mini Countryman, John Cooper Works model, northbound when he crossed into the southbound carriageway and smashed into a Ford Ranger travelling in the opposite direction, just north of Meres Lane. The speedo on the Mini was found stuck at 112mph immediately after the collision.

So severe was the impact that the Ford was stopped in its tracks and pushed backwards off the road. The scene was described by those who came across it as “something out of a war zone or off of the TV.”

The driver of the Ford, David Evans, aged 55, and his wife Linda, aged 48, who was the front passenger, were killed instantly.

David and Linda’s family said: “The irresponsible and thoughtless actions of one young man have caused the death of two people. This has led to the immeasurable, intense and wide-ranging grief and feelings of devastation in the lives of so many family members and friends. These lives can never be the same.”

Bosden had pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to two counts of causing death by dangerous driving and one of causing serious injury by dangerous driving, which takes into account the offences of speeding and drink-driving.

At Lewes Crown Court on Monday 3 June, he was sentenced by Her Honour Judge Christine Laing QC to a total of five years’ imprisonment.

Addressing Bosden at sentencing, she said: “You drove at a frankly ludicrous speed for the conditions and alcohol played a significant part. You showed a flagrant disregard for the rules of the road and an utter disregard for the serious danger you posed for other road users.”

The Investigating Officer, PC Shirley Ross, of the Serious Collision Investigation Unit, said: “This collision was another tragic case where lives were needlessly lost and others devastated.

“Bosden’s decision that day to get behind the wheel of a high powered car and to drive in the reckless manner that he did, having consumed alcohol, was nothing short of dangerous.

“This case is another stark warning to all drivers, particularly those in this young age bracket, of the devastating consequences of exceeding speed limits and driving whilst under the influence of alcohol.

“Our advice is simple – drink OR drive; never both.”

Author: Sam Satchell
Ref: SXP54781/2019

NEWSDESK NOTES:

We do not have a custody image of Bosden as he was not formally arrested and therefore did not go through the custody procedure.

The victims' family have expressed they do not wish to be contacted or interviewed by the media.

Furthermore, we do not have any officers available for interview.

IMAGE LICENSING NOTE: The image(s) provided remain(s) the property of Sussex Police or to a third party who has agreed to its/their release.

It/they is/are provided for the explicit purpose of journalistic coverage and commentary, in the public interest, in relation to the featured event.

You are granted limited licence to use the material for this purpose for 90 days from the date it is provided. You may also re-distribute it for this purpose at zero cost to the receiver, provided it is clearly marked as belonging to Sussex Police and this notice remains.

You may include our material as part of a wider package of journalistic content that is paid for by the receiver – for example a court report or feature article – provided that the material owned by Sussex Police is clearly marked as such, this notice remains and our material is supplemented by content of additional value produced by you.

Re-distribution of this material for profit in breach of the terms above, use for any purpose other than that expressed above or archiving of this material for future use is strictly prohibited without the prior written permission of Sussex Police.

Requests for use outside of these terms should be sent to media.hq@sussex.pnn.police.uk.